Friday 16 April 2010

How do we want to handle the church?

Looking at this picture:


You can see, aside from the details in the windows and arches, there is a LOT of stuff sticking out all over the church. Gargoyles, spikes, misc protrusions, etc. I'd be overjoyed to model all that but we might use up the poly budget on just the church.
I feel I should smooth it out a bit but still keep the window detail and gargoyles. The misc stuff could probably go but will that detract from the look of the church?
Inquiring minds want to know.

3 comments:

  1. My vote would be to model whatever you can. That's the approach I'm taking. I'm modeling the high poly version first, then going back and doing the low poly from it. If it turns out to be too much for the engine to handle I'll go back and trim down on polys. That's one of the reasons I'm not texturing things yet.

    I really feel like we limit ourselves too much when it comes to poly count. It's hard to model high poly things in that mindset. Personally I want all the experience I can get modeling something that looks good. Optimizing can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds reasonable.

    also, I want to have your babies...

    also, that was a fast response.

    Also, I won't be at class on saturday since I sprained my arm and my car has a lot of electrical gremlins that like to eat my car's electrical power so now it has no turn signals so I can't signal with my arms when I want to turn since I sprained my left arm. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a bit late on a comment...but i feel everyone should shoot for around 400,000 poly's, if that's too much, just go in and delete 200,000 or so. It's no problem really.

    ReplyDelete