Thursday 25 March 2010

Progress Report

I've done what I love to do...start over. Yes that's correct I'm going to start over on the models I already have done. I apologize for the inconvenience. Why am I doing this? Because I've spent the last few months figuring out not only how to model and texture better but how to do it correctly. The way I've been going about everything is wrong. But in the short span of 2 hours I managed to create a rock. A rock that I'm proud of because I made it correctly.

These are directly captured from 3ds Max (not rendered):







Why is this important you may ask. Well for the first time ever I went through the entire process of modeling a game asset. The steps I took:

1. Create Base Mesh (3ds Max)
2. Sculpt High Poly Mesh (Zbrush)
3. Retopologize Mesh (Zbrush)
4. Export Low Poly Mesh (Zbrush)
5. Unwrap Low Poly Mesh (3ds Max)
6. Bake Out Normals (3ds Max)

After that I threw on a rock texture. It would need more texturing but I'm finally getting used to doing everything. Now I just need to remember to do it in this order...

No comments:

Post a Comment